Who likes kombucha? What do you do for your gut health? I can't afford $4 for a bottle of fermented tea, so I made it by myself. Kombucha is a sweetened black tea drink that’s been fermented with the use of a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast. Due to the fermentation process involved in creating kombucha, it contains a large number of healthy bacteria known as probiotics. These bacteria line your digestive tract and support your immune system, as they absorb nutrients and fight infection and illness. Drinking kombucha every day can help you to maintain peak immune health, which trickles down into an impressive number of benefits for your overall health.
I brewed tea, which has to contain caffeine and added sugar. Kombucha is produced by fermenting tea using a "symbiotic 'colony' of bacteria and yeast", called "scoby". I took a small Scovy from the one I bought from whole foods market. You can buy scoby on amazon. After fermentation, kombucha becomes carbonated and contains vinegar, B vitamins, enzymes, probiotics and a high concentration of acid (acetic, gluconic and lactic). These bacteria are known as “cellulose-producing bacteria,” meaning they produce cellulose, which acts as a shield to cells. Naturally, the antioxidant prowess of this ancient tea counteracts free radicals that create mayhem in the digestive system. However, the greatest reason kombucha supports digestion is because of its high levels of beneficial acid, probiotics, amino acids and enzymes.
Kombucha can also help heal candida from overpopulating within the gut by restoring balance to the digestive system, with live probiotic cultures that help the gut to repopulate with good bacteria while crowding out the candida yeast.
According to this study, although kombucha does contain bacteria, these are not harmful pathogen bacteria. Instead, they are the beneficial kind that compete with “bad” pathogen bacteria in the gut and digestive tract.
Scoby got bigger and bigger day by day.I took out 1st fermented tea and put it in another bottle for 2nd fermentation, which makes tea fuzzy. This process happen in 2weeks and you can repeat.
I made hibiscus version. By the way, you need caffeine to make scoby work for fermentation. This is not 100% hibiscus. I would say 50:50 meaning half black tea and half hibiscus. On the right picture, Scoby keeps getting bigger and another scovy came out as 2nd layer. Looks scary...
Making your very own Kombucha tea is exciting! Let me do more research on how to make kombucha more. Once figure out how to make the best, I'll share how to. I made a basic, unflavored kombucha. You can try adding unique flavors like fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice, ginger root “juice” made by blending ginger and water, blended berries and fresh-squeezed orange.
Made German dish with cast iron pan. To be honest with you, this is not for kombucha, but real deal IPA. I need beer!! Choucroute garnie came out really nice! Wait, maybe kombucha vokka might be acceptable. Since the liver helps to filter and convert harmful compounds, it’s a vital component in digestion and overall health. The antioxidants in kombucha may protect the liver from oxidative stress and damage. I make my kombucha with raw honey. Most of recipe for kombucha recommend using sugar, but raw honey is better sweeter choice. Let me know your favorite kombucha.
- Mar 18, 2012 Linguine alle Vongole Bianco
- Mar 19, 2012 Linguine alle Vongole Rosso
- Mar 28, 2012 Luxury Seafood with Tomato Cream Pasta
- Mar 28, 2012 Squid and Sea Urchin with Lemon Pasta
- May 9, 2012 Risotto di Vongole e Fungi
- May 15, 2012 Carbonara
- May 20, 2012 Spring Vegetable with Cream sauce Pasta
- Jun 4, 2012 Homemade Sangria
- Jun 6, 2012 Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
- Jun 16, 2012 Bolognese with Eggplant
- Jun 16, 2012 Ragu alla Bolognese
- Jul 19, 2012 Lobster Pasta with Tomato Cream Pasta
- Jul 26, 2012 Black ink Pasta with Shrimp and Scallop
- Sep 6, 2012 Shrimp and Eggplant with Spicy tomato
- Sep 7, 2012 Lemon Garlic Pasta with Chicken, Red and Green
- Sep 12, 2012 Pulpo a la Gallega
- Sep 22, 2012 Pate de Fois
- Nov 11, 2012 Pumpkin Carbonara
- Feb 3, 2014 Choux farci au Saumon (Salmon stuffed Cabbage)
- May 8, 2014 Crystal Clear Ramen
- May 15, 2014 Beef achilles
- May 27, 2014 Summer Vegetables Curry
- Jun 9, 2014 Monkfish Risotto
- Jun 16, 2014 Caramelized Pork belly
- Aug 18, 2014 Duck is the best
- Sep 15, 2014 Duck Again!
- Oct 17, 2014 Atelierkitchen Zen
- Jan 14, 2016 Zucchini Pasta
- Jan 21, 2016 Galette for Cheat Meal
- Feb 9, 2016 Atelierkitchen Zen 3
- Feb 21, 2016 Ratatouille
- Feb 24, 2016 COTELETTES D'AGNEAU
- Mar 18, 2016 Detox Pasta
- Mar 27, 2016 Gluten Free Challenge 3
- Apr 14, 2016 Sauerkraut
- Apr 16, 2016 Potée
- Apr 21, 2016 Intermittent Fasting
- Apr 28, 2016 Spaghetti Squash
- May 6, 2016 Gluten Free Challenge 4
- May 22, 2016 Le Fromage de Tête
- Jul 1, 2016 Paleo Friendly Plate
- Jul 3, 2016 Meatless Meatball
- Jul 16, 2016 Opus One 2008
- Sep 20, 2016 Lapin Braisé à la Bière
- Oct 16, 2016 Gibier and Bordeaux
- Dec 9, 2016 Beaujolais nouveau & Venison