I was not major in History during my undergrad, but I know Thanksgiving history started with the harvest celebration of the pilgrims and the Native Americans that took place around this time. As a non American individual, I recognize this day as an official pig out day in U.S. just saying… Are you hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year? I just did it! (drumroll please) Now I understand why so many American moms are so stressed so bad around this time. Can’t imagine if I have to host more than 10, 20 and even 30 because I have seen such a big family before.
What mostly made me happy was that my very close friend came to Boston and visited me during this thanksgiving week. By the time he moved somewhere in Tokyo(we were 9yrs old), we had been together since 3yrs old at kindergarten. After 20 years late, he heard about me fighting in Japan somehow and we met at weigh-in venue back to 2016 at Pancrase 280
He stayed in Boston for only 3days, but it was so much fun and emotional time for me. Let’s see how I did for my first Thanksgiving!
Besides turkey, I made a lot of dishes. I prepared turkey like 3 days before. Defrost it naturally and leave my pasture-raised organic turkey in fridge for 2-3 days and dry its skin hard. This process makes poultry’s skin so crispy. I was also afraid of being lack of food for just in case, so I got extra turkey legs and cured them with salt and rosemary and slow cooked in duck fat. All vegetables are from local farms and my Japanese friends were so happy with my thanksgiving food.
Roast the perfect turkey
To know it’s done, use a meat thermometer in three spots: breast, thigh, and stuffing. Place the thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, without touching the bone, and in the center of both the breast and the stuffing. If your turkey is unstuffed, cooking times are different—see this handy chart for answers to all of your turkey cooking questions. I made it even juicier, and it’s an easy skill to master. How? I didn’t believe in USDA. I took my turkey out when it got to 160F. Meat was not under cook at all. It was just perfect!
Another classic is stuffing. Stuffing is probably my favorite part of the meal (next to the cranberry sauce). Seriously, I wanted to eat leftovers for days! My wife made a homemade sourdough bread and I made sandwich with leftover. Needless to say, that was the best of the best.
I look forward to Thanksgiving every year. Not just for the delicious feast, but because it’s a time to get together with family and friends. Real #tbt exactly 27 years ago of Dec 13th 1991. Tateki is 5 years old. How did I find this picture above? My close friend brought this old picture to me. We got separated when we were 9 years old, but made an impressive reunion 2 years ago when he found out I was fighting in Japan as I mentioned above. Well, I was crying hard without tears because all my water was gone at weigh-ins. I don't cry anymore because we got together and brought back our friendship again. Loss of 27 years didn’t matter at all because we're still together. There is no distance too far between friends, for friendship gives wings to the heart. I’ve learned that true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance.
Hope you had an amazing Thanksgiving!
- Mar 18, 2012 Linguine alle Vongole Bianco
- Mar 19, 2012 Linguine alle Vongole Rosso
- Mar 28, 2012 Luxury Seafood with Tomato Cream Pasta
- Mar 28, 2012 Squid and Sea Urchin with Lemon Pasta
- May 9, 2012 Risotto di Vongole e Fungi
- May 15, 2012 Carbonara
- May 20, 2012 Spring Vegetable with Cream sauce Pasta
- Jun 4, 2012 Homemade Sangria
- Jun 6, 2012 Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
- Jun 16, 2012 Bolognese with Eggplant
- Jun 16, 2012 Ragu alla Bolognese
- Jul 19, 2012 Lobster Pasta with Tomato Cream Pasta
- Jul 26, 2012 Black ink Pasta with Shrimp and Scallop
- Sep 6, 2012 Shrimp and Eggplant with Spicy tomato
- Sep 7, 2012 Lemon Garlic Pasta with Chicken, Red and Green
- Sep 12, 2012 Pulpo a la Gallega
- Sep 22, 2012 Pate de Fois
- Nov 11, 2012 Pumpkin Carbonara
- Feb 3, 2014 Choux farci au Saumon (Salmon stuffed Cabbage)
- May 8, 2014 Crystal Clear Ramen
- May 15, 2014 Beef achilles
- May 27, 2014 Summer Vegetables Curry
- Jun 9, 2014 Monkfish Risotto
- Jun 16, 2014 Caramelized Pork belly
- Aug 18, 2014 Duck is the best
- Sep 15, 2014 Duck Again!
- Oct 17, 2014 Atelierkitchen Zen
- Jan 14, 2016 Zucchini Pasta
- Jan 21, 2016 Galette for Cheat Meal
- Feb 9, 2016 Atelierkitchen Zen 3
- Feb 21, 2016 Ratatouille
- Feb 24, 2016 COTELETTES D'AGNEAU
- Mar 18, 2016 Detox Pasta
- Mar 27, 2016 Gluten Free Challenge 3
- Apr 14, 2016 Sauerkraut
- Apr 16, 2016 Potée
- Apr 21, 2016 Intermittent Fasting
- Apr 28, 2016 Spaghetti Squash
- May 6, 2016 Gluten Free Challenge 4
- May 22, 2016 Le Fromage de Tête
- Jul 1, 2016 Paleo Friendly Plate
- Jul 3, 2016 Meatless Meatball
- Jul 16, 2016 Opus One 2008
- Sep 20, 2016 Lapin Braisé à la Bière
- Oct 16, 2016 Gibier and Bordeaux
- Dec 9, 2016 Beaujolais nouveau & Venison